[can't rebut alone folks; send 250-word letter to editor--
also-- watch webcasts of Co. Leg. mtg.'s here:
http://www.totalwebcasting.com/view/?id=dutchess ; fwd]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quel surprise-- same guy who's attacked me for last eight years in
letters to editor continues today...
Yep-- Mr. Muggenburg is at it again...(click on link here to download
text of his attack this time today:
Boiling Muggenburg's letter down, it distills into the following
eight points, essentially:
1. Muggenburg begins his letter by applauding GOP for repealing
independent redistricting law(!).
[but fact is even Pok. Journal and Daily Freeman have strongly
criticized GOP for repealing Dem law]
2. Muggenburg writes that I'm not a "solid citizen" like Rolison or
Cooper-- and not a "patriot" either.
[this is offensive, folks; I'd be making $70,000 now if had kept my
NYC teaching job instead of quitting in 2005 to focus my time/energy
on being best Co. Leg. possible-- and various principals and
superintendents told me in 90's my political activism was keeping
them from hiring me to teach locally!]
3. Muggenburg suggests that I have no clue what a "spirit of
[wrong; see below; I've gotten more Co. Leg. resolutions passed over
last 2 years than any other Dem]
4. Muggenburg writes that apparently, my record shows I "will
contribute nothing but obstruction."
[fact-- just this spring I got GOP to vote for my resolutions for
county historian and against jail expansion; recall-- June 10th
letter from Rolison/Roman/GOP makes clear they're still 100% for jail
5. Muggenburg goes on to describe my apparent "uncontrollable verbosity."
[not true-- see Co. Leg. mtg.'s here:
http://www.totalwebcasting.com/view/?id=dutchess fact is otherwise]
6. Muggenburg writes that, apparently, I've turned my forums into
"personal cheering squads."
[?!?.......if only...(but it is true that since Jan. '04 I've held
local forums literally monthly in my district)]
7. Muggenburg writes that, apparently, my "record of disrupting the
Legislature is well-known."
[wrong-- see Co. Leg. mtg.'s here--
http://www.totalwebcasting.com/view/?id=dutchess -- and don't
forget-- even Daily Freeman failed to accurately report the truth on
what actually happened at that fabled Co. Leg. mtg. last December--
truth is I never yelled anything out (not what Pat Doxsey wrote)--
and with all due respect, to Muggenburg and other right-wingers like
him, it's obviously not a big deal to them to witness killing off of
funding for our county's Human Rights Commission (when 900+
complaints are made annually to it)-- but to me it is and will always
be-- esp. here in Eleanor Roosevelt's Dutchess; recall--
-- and this:
[also-- frankly-- if you''ve been watching Co. Leg. mtg.'s-- you know
the truth is that it's been GOP Co. Leg. majority members who time
and again, over and over, have frivolously employed "point of order"
on Leg. floor during discussions of various issues-- in order to
silence me and other Dems < speaking]
8. Muggenburg closes-- "redistricting goes as it should, he [I] might
have to seek other employment."
[curious-- as, interestingly enough, fact is that this last statement
from Muggenburg does, in truth, echo what our Co. Leg.'s Dem
leadership have told me repeatedly over the last year-- that current
Co. Leg. GOP leadership have told them repeatedly that Republicans
truly have targeted me for extinction-- and remain bent, driven,
obsessed with gerrymandering Co. Leg. districts to eliminate me from
So again-- one more time-- I can't fend off attacks like this all
fall from GOP right-wingers alone...
Send 250-word letter to editor in your own words-- to
[pass it on]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Examples here below of where I've successfully worked across party
lines over last 8 years in Co. Leg.:
-- The Town of Rhinebeck is now (and has been for over six years)
part of the Greenway Compact.
[recall-- recent Greenway grant funding for sidewalk improvements in
Village of Rhinebeck; over $100,000 in county funding for Rhineson
property for town park after Rhinebeck joined Greenway Compact;
Rhinebeck Town Board was dead-set against joining Greenway Compact
until I very pointedly made this campaign issue in '03 (as
recommended by Warren Smith); pointed out Ed Haas was wrong on this]
-- got my resolution passed 22-2 to push County Exec to delay no
further; appoint County Historian
[join 246 signed on to my http://www.petitiononline.com/hirehist ;
-- got my resolution passed unanimously in March to save millions of
county tax dollars by avoiding needless jail expansion (even Dems had
been considering going along with jail expansion last year)
[see http://www.JobsNotJails.weebly.com -- tho again, June 10th memo
proves this just GOP lip service
-- got County Exec and County Legislature in 2004 to stop homeless
veterans from being turned away from overnight shelter
-- succeeded in keeping county funding steady for Mental Health
America's Court-Appointed Special Advocate program for foster kids
(worked with Dems to make this priority; we got some GOP on board)
-- working with our county's Health Department and Ferncliff Nursing
Home to make sure seniors' rights are fully respected
-- back in 2004 and 2005, during my very first term in office, with
only 8 Dems and 17 GOP county legislators, I got resolutions passed
unanimously for a health insurance group discount committee, for IBM
to protect retirees' health benefits, for a public hearing on St.
Lawrence Cement, to protect wetlands, and purchase of wind power.
-- back in 2005 I successfully initiated move for our county's
Consumer Affairs website to expand with gas and prescription drug
price information, and for AED defibrillator discount program as well
-- back then I also succeeded in ensuring Environmental Management
Council funds in county budget
-- for 8 years now researched/educated public re: MTBE water
contamination in Rhinebeck and Clinton
-- full list here of twenty different resolutions I got passed in
2008 and 2009 (many with GOP support):
[Pok. Journal ignored literally every single one of these, letting
Steinhaus off hook for not implementing]
1. For Independent Dutchess Energy Alliance: $1 billion in savings on
electric bills over ten years.
[based on successful green jobs/retrofits example of Cambridge, MA-- see
[ http://www.CambridgeEnergyAlliance.org ; also Town of Babylon's
2. For Dutchess to save literally hundreds of thousands of dollars
annually on power costs w/Municipal Electricity Gas Alliance (like
Putnam, Ulster, Sullivan, and twenty other counties).
[ http://www.MEGAEnergy.org ]
3. For saving 30% on lighting bills in county bldg.'s switching
fixtures from T-12's to T-8's/metal halides.
4. For Dutchess to keep using lever voting machines and state/federal
gov.'t to make sure we can too.
[ http://www.ETCNYS.org ; http://nylevers.wordpress.com/ -- Times
covered this...not PoJo tho...why?!?]
5. For zero-waste approach to resource recovery in our county: save
money, create clean green jobs.
[join over 90 other Dutchess residents on board this-- at
6. For cost-saving green roofs, rain gardens, wind turbines,
composting toilets to be on county property.
[ http://www.GreenRoofs.com ; http://www.RainGardens.org ;
http://bianys.com/node/418 ; http://www.petitiononline.com/goldpoop ;
7. For solar panels on County Office Building/22 Market
St./Poughkeepsie (then all county buildings).
[ http://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/mar08/030608.htm ;
8. For new SuperLOOPer discount card at local stores and restaurants
for frequent users of LOOP bus.
[ http://content.usatoday.com/topics/article/Tom+Malone/01Ur0if9hQ8Ic/1 ]
9. For Dutchess to hold Home Heating Summit re: home heating oil
crisis (as in Ulster, Orange co.'s).
[ http://www.midhudsonnews.com/News/September08/10/DC_hm_heat-10Sep08.html ]
10. For Dutchess ESAN "Recommendations for Stream/Flood Management in
Dutchess" to be followed.
[ http://www.dutchessemc.org/ESANRecomendations.pdf ]
11. For Green Map added to county website: list farmer's
markets/green resources (as in Westchester).
[ http://greenmap.westchestergov.com/ ; http://www.GreenMap.org ]
12. For bike rental program in Dutchess at no cost to taxpayers (as
is already in Washington, D.C.).
[ http://www.SmartBikeDC.com ]
13. For Dutchess County to be part of Hudson Valley Community
Preservation Act to save open space.
[ http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=101&sh=story&story=23825 ]
14. For cost-saving "Green House Project" nursing home in county--
proven to make seniors happier.
[ http://www.TheGreenHouseProject.org ]
15. For particulate matter air pollution to be measured in Dutchess
County as it was until 2002.
[ http://www.ALANY.org ]
16. For greatly expanding current circuitbreaker for school property
taxes (bipartisan Little/Galef bill).
[ http://www.petitiononline.com/taxcut (not Saland's idiotic property
tax cap-- http://www.TrendNY.org )]
17. For real relief for Dutchess Co. property taxpayers-- Omnibus
Property Tax Relief and Reform Act.
[ http://www.OmnibusTaxSolution.org ]
18. For ending secret market manipulations on Wall Street causing
higher gas/home heating oil prices.
[see http://www.StopOilSpeculators.com Enron loophole closed; "dark
markets" speculation continues!]
19. For wetlands (even small ones) in county to be saved from being
paved over by developers.
[ http://www.eany.org/capitolwatch/memos%202009/21_WetlandsProtection.pdf ]
20. For Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies recommend.'s air
pollution/quality standards to be followed.
[ http://www.ecostudies.org/threats_from_above.html ]